Dunfermline Athletic

2007: Dunfermline 3 Rangers 2

Memorable Match #18
Tennents Scottish Cup Third Round
Sunday 7th January 2007

Dunfermline manager Stephen Kenny won his first match in nine attempts to knock Rangers out of the Scottish Cup.

Having taken just two points from their previous eight league games, the Scottish Cup brought the Pars some relief from the pressures of the SPL relegation battle but they were without their stand in skipper Greg Shields (ill) and Gary Mason (back injury).

Stephen Kenny’s new on loan signing Jim O’Brien went straight into the starting line up.

Rangers had parted company with manager Paul Le Guen on the Thursday before the cup tie were under the temporary charge of Ian Durrant and they welcomed back Barry Ferguson. The goalkeepers both had a quiet start to the match with neither side creating anything in the way of goalmouth action.

Stephen Simmons accepted a defensive header and drilled a shot on target that Allan McGregor did well to save. A Ferguson cross in 13th minute was headed down by Karl Svensson but Roddy McKenzie dropped to his left to save competently.

There was a let off in 16th minute when Nacho Novo broke through the left channel and fed the ball to Charlie Adam. When the ball came into the far post Alan Hutton`s effort came back off the back of Owen Morrison on the line and into the hands of McKenzie.

Next minute the Pars were celebrating their first goal in 467 minutes football. O`Brien`s free kick on the right was defended but the ball was switched left with Young`s header for Owen Morrison. He turned Julien Rodriguez to pick out Jim HAMILTON on the right edge of the six yard box. The Pars striker blasted the ball from his left foot into the far left of the Rangers net. 1-0

Rangers response came from a quickly taken free kick. Charlie Adam swung over a dangerous ball into the Dunfermline penalty box but Scott Wilson rose to make a crucial headed clearance.

Then just before the half hour the Pars fans could hardly belief it, another Dunfermline goal! A throw in down on the right found O`Brien and his cross was headed only as far as Owen Morrison and his overhead kick was fired on target by SIMMONS. The shot pinballed off Svensson and Rodriguez before the ex Hearts midfielder followed up to smack the ball into the net. 2-0

Seven minutes from the interval Dunfermline were denied a penalty when Ian Murray appeared to handle just inside his box.
It had been a fantastic first half from the Pars with O`Brien making a big big impact.

Half Time: Dunfermline 2 Rangers 0

Hamilton and Simmons resumed the action after a lengthy wait for Sky television to indicate they were back. Just as well they waited because within 30 seconds the Pars had another corner and another goal. Scott Morrison swung in a great delivery from the right and Phil McGUIRE rose just six yards out to fend off Hutton`s challenge and head in Dunfermline`s third goal of the cup tie after only 55 seconds of the second half.

Rangers fought back scoring the fourth goal of the game on 54 minutes. A neat move on the right put Gavin Rae deep right and his cut back was clinically despatched beyond McKenzie by Kris BOYD. 3-1

The goal further fuelled the cup tie with the Royal Blues launching an all out attack on the Fifers goal while the Pars still looked dangerous on the break with Crawford and Owen Morrison having chances to shoot. It was Rangers who scored again. Kris BOYD headed in an Ian Murray cross from just three yards out at the far post. 3-2

Twenty two minutes remained for the Gers to find an equaliser against the bottom of the table, Pars. Ferguson headed a Burke corner kick on to the top of the crossbar as it was clear that it might be a real backs to the wall end to the match.

Boyd swept a shot just a foot wide of the left post and McKenzie dropped to save from Ferguson. The pressure continued with Buffel in particular causing mayhem and the defending got desperate and scrappy.

With play continuing all towards McKenzie’s goal, the Pars survived an appeal for a penalty. The closing minutes including the three added were nerve racking but the cheers at the final whistle were all from the supporters of Dunfermline Athletic.

What a show from Stephen Kenny`s men. Having won FAI Cup in December with Derry City, he really does have the magic for cups. Only Dunfermline`s second ever Scottish Cup victory over the Ibrox side.

In the next round the Pars would go on to defeat Hearts en route to the final of the 2007 Scottish Cup.

DUNFERMLINE: Roddy McKenzie; Greg Ross, Phil McGuire, Scott Wilson, Scott Morrison; Jim O`Brien (Souleymane Bamba 76), Stephen Simmons, Darren Young, Owen Morrison (Calum Woods 67); Jim Hamilton (Frederic Daquin 83), Stevie Crawford.
SUBS: Andy Tod, Sean Murdoch (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Young (48), Wilson (89)
SCORERS: Hamilton (17), Simmons (29), McGuire (46)

RANGERS: Allan McGregor; Alan Hutton, Julien Rodriguez (Chris Burke 35), Karl Svensson, Ian Murray; Gavin Rae (c), Brahim Hemdani, Barry Ferguson, Charlie Adam (Thomas Buffel 64); Nacho Novo, Kris Boyd
SUBS: Sasa Papac, Steven Lennon, Scott Gallacher (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Novo (23), Boyd (35), Adam (38), Hutton (92)
SCORER: Boyd (54, 68)

REFEREE: Iain Brines
WEATHER: Bright, Windy 8ºC

Views : 1,602

Related Stories

Advertisement :
The kits are once again expertly produced by our colleagues at Joma and proudly carry our shirt sponsors SRJ Windows. We are pleased to be able to offer pre-ordering on all new kit, through the newly updated DAFC Club Shop
  • /files/business_clubadvert_3633.jpg
  • /files/pstwebsitead_0172.jpg
  • files/Specialist_Cars_RHS_Aug_19_6755.jpg
  • files/CB_Dunfermline_Programme_Ad_300px_v2_9109.jpg

To top