Dunfermline Athletic

Ryan rides tackle but rues chances

Monday, 12th Feb 2018

“We had midfielders getting wide and getting crosses in the box but it just didn’t fall for us.”

Andy Ryan started his fourth Dunfermline match on Saturday but it was the first time that he had failed to score in a match he started for Dunfermline. He and his team mates were deeply disappointed not to win.

“Even the way the first half went and nearer the tail end we were piling on the pressure. When they went down to ten men in the second half I think we were still pushing. We were the team in ascendancy and the one that was looking like scoring. But we couldn’t manage to nick that goal.”

It was Andy who was in the midst of the decision to send off Livingston’s Jordan Thompson midway through the second half. He commented:-

“I saw him coming in and it was a 50/50, I got my toe to the ball first and I thought if I don’t get myself off the ground, I would have got myself a bad one there. The referee saw it and he has given a red card. I think it was reckless especially when you consider how high up he caught me. I think the referee got that spot on.

“I have no after effects, it was just the initial pain and nothing serious. If you see it coming you get your foot off the ground and ride the challenge a little bit.”

The 0-0 draw pushed Livingston up into second place in the Championship table and the 23 year old who signed from Airdrie earlier this season, believed that the solid nature of their defence is the main reason for that position.

“In the first half there were numerous times when the ball was bouncing about in the box. It just wouldn’t fall correctly for one of our players, it ricocheted about and there were deflections. It was maybe just one of those days but we maybe need to accept the point and move on.”

Andy has waited patiently to be given his chance and the Livingston match was just his second league start for the Pars.

“I am not one of the type of persons who goes out and throws their toys out of the pram. I just wait for my opportunity and at the end of the day the manager is the one who picks the team, so I just have to be patient and if I get my chance try and take it.”

It was a change of formation that made way for Andy to get his place in the side. He formed the striking partnership with Declan McManus upfront and Nicky Clark tucked in behind them ahead of a three man midfield comprising the January transfer window signings James Craigen, Tom Beadling and James Vincent.

“We worked on it in midweek and it worked well with Nicky in behind me and Decy. It worked to a certain degree in the first half when we had midfielders getting wide and getting crosses in the box but it just didn’t fall for us.”

There was a penalty shout when Andy was pushed over in the box right at the end of the first half and he felt that it was the kind that can be given or not.

“I got my body in front and I felt the barge in the back. The referee didn’t deem it to be a penalty so you just had to accept it.”

It was just not going to be Andy’s day because even when he appeared to be in with a good chance in 64th minute he lost his footing. He talked that one through:-

“Declan hung the ball up at the back stick and I got caught underneath it a wee bit and tried to push back. My foot just gave way underneath me so it was frustrating. We will just need to accept the point and move on.”

Related Stories

Advertisement :

Views: 1,233

To top